Sunday, July 29, 2012

Procrastination Pays...Again!

White Flowers of Volunteer Potatoes

I am a big believer in procrastination...particularly when it comes to yard work. Once upon a time I was a devoted gardener who wouldn't let a spring day pass without spending some time eradicating baby weeds before they grew into the monster, flowering, seed-dropping weeds of summer. My flower beds looked great.

Then one spring I got busy (possibly lazy) and didn't get to my garden until much later. I found so many wonderful surprises! I had sunflowers coming up where last year's had grown and I had sunflowers coming up where none had ever been planted! Violas, lemon balm, lavender, lamb's ear, alyssum, and more, decided to fill some of the empty spaces between the plants who "belonged". I was happy to have free plants; I left some where they had put themselves and moved others.

Now I know that many plants look the same when they first break ground. Now I know to wait for a couple sets of leaves so that I can identify the baby "keepers" from the weeds. Today I discovered that procrastination will pay off in some potatoes in a few weeks. I didn't get around to planting potatoes this year, so I'm extra excited!

Procrastination has a bad name. Sometimes it's good to put off until tomorrow what you could have done today! I don't suggest it for doctor or dentist visits, but if you're thinking of saying something hurtful to someone you love, I strongly suggest you procrastinate! If you're considering a major life change, I say, "Sleep on it!". If you really don't want to do the dishes after dinner, don't...the dish fairy is real. She comes while you're sleeping and cleans every pot and pan in the sink...I say it's worth a shot!


Life is too beautiful to be sped through. What can you procrastinate on today to give you more time to just be? 

Peace,
Chris

2 comments:

  1. Your birds also benefit when you procrastinate! Weeds draw insects for birds to eat and when they go to seed they eat them too! This got me thinking that a man would never have been able to do in nature what a woman can - that's why we pay homage to Mother Nature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! So much of what I grow (be it flower or shrub) provides seed that birds love in the fall and winter. If I were to tuck everything in for the winter (i.e. cut back the perennials, etc.) I would have far less for the birds to eat in my yard. I think any bird that's willing to winter in our cold, snowy area deserves all the garden treats they can find!

      Delete