Monday, July 23, 2012

Bee Happy!



Here's a little video I shot a couple weeks ago. The bees were finally happy because things had warmed up, which meant there was pollen to be brought in. Pollen is the bees protein and the queen won't start laying eggs until she decides enough pollen has been brought into the hive to feed the youngsters.

Pollen comes in all sorts of colors,  and I never tire of watching the bees bring it in. When I shot this video, I was unsure what plant was producing red pollen. After a little research, I'm pretty sure it's a weed called Henbit, which we have plenty of around here! The research says it's an important pollen and nectar plant for the bees. Hooray for Henbit, my new, favorite weed!

If you can, watch and listen to this with headphones on (unless you have really good speakers). There was a lot going on in the yard that morning...bees from all four hives were buzzing around, baby birds were chirping for their moms from some of the dozen birdhouses we have scattered in the garden, crickets were making their music, and I shared a few honeybee tidbits, too.

It was a wonderful morning in the garden!

Take time for the simple things.

Peace,
Chris

1 comment: